| || Business Consultant |
| || EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy, Belgium and Poland. We are the UK’s leading generator and supplier of low carbon energy, producing around one-fifth of the nation’s electricity and employing more than 12,500 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We intend to play a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK and secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees. |
| || At EDF Energy, we’re committed to helping our customers in any way we can. We are responsible for maximising the long term value of our residential and business customers; we create an integrated approach to energy sourcing, pricing strategy, and deliver to the needs of our customers. We sell electricity and gas to over 5.5 million residential and business customers, making us the largest supplier of electricity by volume. We also run customer facing activities including field sales and meter reading services. We’re committed to ‘getting it right first time’, making sure that service is continually improved & our approach to Customers is driven by our sustainability agenda, which means we behave as a socially and environmentally responsible company. We are the largest business unit within EDF Energy with over 8,000 employees spread across 50 locations. Working in a competitive marketplace means we need high performing people who have the skills, experience, systems knowledge and leadership abilities to provide support and guidance in line with our ‘right first time’ policy. |
| || The Business Consultant plays a prominent role in formulating and promoting visionary solutions to the business opportunities open to and the challenges faced by EDF Energy. |
The Business Consultant must be capable of galvanising support for the articulated vision, providing leadership and guidance to the companies senior management team on the direction of business excellence and quality management, including organisational structure, functional activity, performance and governance.
The Business Consultant will provide an understanding of the economic and political scenery, drawing out the solution’s position in terms of competitor, market, regulatory and political placement. The Business Consultant will ensure solutions deliver best practices which have a demonstratable record of success, either from our own industry or other industries where parallel activities are undertaken.
In addition to selling the solution, the Business Consultant will construct the road map that will transform today’s organisational model to the new target model, defining the performance measurement framework that will ensure the delivered solution is providing optimal operational performance and delivering the benefits articulated in the supporting investment case.
To deliver the proposed solutions effectively, the Business Consultant must demonstrate the gravitas and impact expected of an active member of the company’s senior management team. Along side this, the Business Consultant must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, being able to build strong relationships and influence key stakeholders internal and external to the company. They have responsibility for managing the business analysis work stream of the associated delivering programme, building a strong alliance with the Programme Manager responsible for delivering the agreed solution.
| || Business Change & IT operates a ‘pool and assignment’ model for its Business Consultants.|
The post-holder will be assigned to projects for finite periods and report to an Assignment Manager / Sponsor, who will manage work activity on a day to day basis and issue objectives for each assignment to allow assessment of individual performance.
A ‘Career Manager’ will provide career guidance on matters such as skills development and assistance in finding suitable assignments as well as carrying out performance management appraisals and HR processes.
The Resource Fulfilment Team will be responsible for scheduling the Business Consultant to individual assignments for specific programmes of work.
For any particular assignment, the Business Consultant will be required to work closely with the business within the project governance structure, and establish and maintain effective relationships with all key stakeholders.
They will need to balance time and priorities in their work activities on a continuous basis. Where guidance is required on priorities, it should be sought from the Project Manager (i.e. the Assignment Manager).
The job-holder should exhibit strategic management and leadership skills at a high level and in a wide variety of contexts. They should also be able to understand, explain and present complex technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences up to the highest level in a persuasive and convincing manner.
Typical assignments will be strategic business change projects & programmes characterised by one or more of the following:
• Large scale organisational or regulatory change impacting one or more branches.
• Business & process model changes materially impacting the delivery of products & services to our 5 million supply customers or 7 million distribution customers.
• Create business opportunities that deliver annual benefits of up to £2m per annum.
• Project investigation and analysis budgets of up to £0.5m.
• Career Manager for up to 5 people
• Assignment manage other Business Analyst resource deployed on same assignments
o 5+ including a mix of direct and indirect employees/Contractors and 3rd Party Partners.
Business Consultants will be expected to be flexible to support assignments based at locations different to their primary place of work.
Business Consultant work can usually be performed remotely from the sponsor location, but travel to that location will occasionally be required for meetings being held ‘face to face’ (i.e. travel to ANY Customers business location could be required).
| || |
- Support branch executives & directors in defining the high-level scope & business requirements, by acting as a trusted and well-informed advisor of business improvement and technology services to the business.
- Define, establish & manage the investigation & analysis team, recruiting the required resources, developing the investigation plan and securing the necessary budget.
- Investigate outline options to satisfy the agreed high level scope, assessing the political, regulatory, competitive and financial impacts, drawing on your extensive business and industry knowledge.
- Identify the optimal solution and method of delivery that provides maximum benefit balanced against investment & risk appetite, gaining support from the branch executives & directors for formal project approval.
- Elaborate the new or revised business model, identifying the organisational change, process change and business solutions, and identifying the route by which they will be delivered and any required pre-positioning work.
- Develop and gain approval for the investment case, defining the process controls and performance management system that will be established to demonstrate the successful operation of the delivered change and capture of the defined business benefits.
- Support the Programme Manager in the mobilisation of the delivery team, ensuring an understanding of purpose and approach is developed, in conjunction with an understanding of scope and anticipated benefits and how they will be delivered.
- If required, engage throughout the delivery and implementation of the proposed change, acting as the custodian of the business requirements, challenging deviation from the scope and proposed solution that would impact the integrity of the defined business model and benefits.
- Support the Programme Manager during stakeholder engagement by providing subject matter expertise.
- Onboards, set objectives and deliverables and manages junior Key Advisors/Contractors
| || Knowledge & Skills|
Qualifications & Experience
- Strong business acumen and industry knowledge, with an interest and understanding of the trends and direction of the UK Utilities marketplace and EDF Energy’s position in this marketplace.
- Understand the core business processes underpinning the companies operation, the value they deliver and the control mechanisms by which they are managed.
- Knowledge of the key business application and management information system employed and an ability to clarify future enhancements.
- Awareness of best practice research and benchmarking techniques.
- A persuasive presenter and communicator with the ability to forge strong relationships throughout the company.
- To be an effective change champion with the ability to work confidently in a variety of business areas, combined with leadership skills demonstrated through hands-on involvement and team management practices.
- Excellent and demonstrable written skills and a high degree of numeric competency.
- Excellent analytical capability.
- Exhibits strategic management and leadership skills at a high level.
- Demonstrable record of contributing effectively to business goals.
- Accustomed to operating successfully at a senior and influential level.
- A people leader, manager and talent developer.
- Able to establish immediate impact and credibility, being a persuasive and clear communicator.
- Engenders trust.
- Experience of the existing company organisation and excellent relationships with senior management.
- The post holder requires an understanding of the EDF Energy Project Way and Prince2, with an ability to manage medium sized projects, commensurate with managing investigation and analysis activities.
- Clear understanding of the EFQM Excellence Model and Six Sigma and their application in business operations and business change.
- Experience of working in a Consultative capacity in a delivery focused environment.
- Demonstrable credibility and evidence of strong relationship with Customers SLT and direct reports
| || Full-Time |
| || Permanent |
| || South East |
| ||Croydon (Interchange) |
| || Starting from £52,002 |
| || Business Analysis |
| || 25-Aug-2017|