| || Senior Manager - Data and Digital Finance Business Partner |
| || EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group and is one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in France, the UK, Germany and Italy. In the UK we have approximately 15,000 employees. We are the UK’s leading generator and supplier of low carbon energy. We produce about one-fifth of the nation’s electricity from our nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat and power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We intend to play a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK and secure a ‘bright’ future for the combined business and its employees. |
| || At EDF Energy, we’re committed to helping our customers in any way we can. We are responsible for maximising the long term value of our residential and business customers; we create an integrated approach to energy sourcing, pricing strategy, and deliver to the needs of our customers. We sell electricity and gas to over 5.5 million residential and business customers, making us the largest supplier of electricity by volume. We also run customer facing activities including field sales and meter reading services. We’re committed to ‘getting it right first time’, making sure that service is continually improved & our approach to Customers is driven by our sustainability agenda, which means we behave as a socially and environmentally responsible company. We are the largest business unit within EDF Energy with over 8,000 employees spread across 50 locations. Working in a competitive marketplace means we need high performing people who have the skills, experience, systems knowledge and leadership abilities to provide support and guidance in line with our ‘right first time’ policy. |
| || |
A senior finance professional, who works alongside the Customers business, supporting, challenging and advising on strategic and operational decision-making on digital and data benefits design, realisation and project management. The post holder is also responsible for developing project portfolio reporting and management across the big projects agenda; this is a temporary responsibility and the post holder will be expected to embed this discipline into the wider team to support the head of cost management.
| || Operating Environment|
Framework & Boundaries
- The role sits within the Customers business which supplies gas and electricity to residential and business customers across the UK, and provides wholesale market optimisation of EDF Energy’s generation and customer assets.
- EDF Energy is the market leader in electricity supply to business customers with a c.20% market share and has c.11% (4th largest supplier) in the residential market.
- The UK market for gas and electricity is widely considered to be the most competitive of EU energy markets. It is also a market subject to intense political, regulatory and media scrutiny and attention. This requires the business to drive hard a digital and data agenda not only for the development of customer products but also internal cost reduction, customer experience improvement and changes in ways of working
- The role holder works primarily with the Director of Digital, data and process excellence acting as a thought partner, solidifying benefits available to the customers’ business based on data and digital strategies which are at early stages of development
- They will be influential in designing change to maximise both profit, cash and customer experience. They will work across the Customers business engaging extensively with senior executives as well as engaging with the broader finance team
- The role holder will need to be able to think beyond "cost savings/cash" and can support/challenge on initiatives that will create new value for the Customers business – although they will at their core be finance professional.
- They will think about retention of value (i.e. better customer lifecycle management), or creation of new value streams through use of data. This will require partnering beyond Customer Ops into both Blue Lab and Sales & Marketing Finance areas as we look to influence their thinking and approaches
- Our strategic goal on cost reduction is to absorb inflation and reduce absolute costs by £150m over the period to 2020, one of the key levers for this is the use of data and digitalisation but we have not yet crystallised what this means and the way we deliver it – the programmes/leadership are being managed out of the customer operations area of the business but the benefits will/should be delivered across all areas internally as well as delivering new products and ways of engaging and working for our customers
- There is also a £40m capex portfolio within the customers’ business, the role holder will not be the finance business partner for this spend but will support the design of improved ways of working and provide guidance to the role holder to support improvements
| || |
- The Senior Manager will be responsible for developing the finance business case/or business cases for change for initiatives and projects that will be part of the digital transformation of our business and the way we work with customers
- They will be responsible for managing the preparation for investment committee decisions under EPWE and supporting the director in the presentation and clearance of these cases
- They will support the development of tangible benefit streams both for the customer and the business, focusing on how we can deliver these in the most effective way through technology, process and people change
- They will be responsible for making sure that the benefits can be and are realised by supporting the Director and driving engagement and sourcing the right people from the wider organisation to help drive the progress/SMEs etc.
- They will create the finance processes and policies for the delivery of project portfolios within the business processes. Currently the finance processes are weak and cash is not activity managed at all. There will be a cash/working capital manager in place to look at cash overall and this person will drive positive cash management for the programme in support of that goal/person
- The role holder will ensure that our management strategy is straightforward to operate, creating certainty and predictability in the financial results (benefits, profit and cash) – that includes actuals, forecast (up to 2020 where needed)
- The role holder will put in place and deliver on an on-going basis concise insight (reporting); focused on business drivers so that we can make robust decisions and anticipate/manage performance including management of risk and fluctuations in our numbers (no surprises) – this will include items that are replied upon by Customers’ exec team, the Customer ops team and wider stakeholders across the business. Actual production of standard reports might not sit within the role holder to ensure we can leverage centres of excellence and maximise their thought leadership time.
- They will provide ad hoc inputs to support commercial decisions.
- The role holder will support the Customers business in setting appropriate benefits targets and provide guidance and challenge for the roadmap to deliver against those targets. Specifically, this includes leadership over the output of performance monitoring, forecasting, budgeting and longer-term planning.
- Advise on key planning assumptions, trade-offs, threats and opportunities.
- The role holder will work closely with the GRCA team who monitor and analyse our risk
- Play a leadership role as a member of the Customers Finance Leadership Team and the wider EDF Energy Senior Finance team. Work across the Customers business and the wider finance community, building effective relationships and making a significant positive impact
| || |
- Strong commercial, numerical and analytical skills – including large data manipulation, they will be a true finance professional but will have the creativity to work on this topic
- Knowledge and experience of deploying latest best practice on projects – design, delivery and embedding
- Strong core finance technical competencies, particularly financial control, planning and forecasting – including rolling forecasts, investment appraisal, financial and risk analysis
- Strong customer focus: able to work effectively across the business with excellent relationship management skills and impact for a wide range of stakeholders from analysts through to senior executives.
- Persuasive and engaging presentation and communication style with strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Senior-level experience in a finance leadership role with business partnering and technical elements
- Exposure to board level stakeholders, particularly commercial and operational
- Senior-level experience across a range of core finance competencies, performance monitoring, forecasting budgeting, longer term planning, financial analysis and control
- Significant experience in a commercial finance role at a management level within a large organisation, working to improve business unit performance
- Experience operating alongside senior business executives
- Senior level-experience in investment and asset management and strategic planning is desirable
| || Full-Time |
| || Permanent |
| || London |
| || Croydon (Interchange) |
| || Competitive |
| || Finance |
| || 28-Jun-2017|