| || Safety Systems and Improvements Advisor |
| || EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy, Belgium and Poland. We are the UK’s leading generator and supplier of low carbon energy, producing around one-fifth of the nation’s electricity and employing more than 13,500 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We intend to play a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK and secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees. |
| || EDF Energy is at the heart of the UK’s new nuclear build programme. The nuclear power stations we plan to build will be the first in a new generation. So a career in this area is a truly unique opportunity – an opportunity to be at the forefront of new nuclear, and to enjoy a long and fruitful career helping us deliver the first nuclear power stations in the UK for twenty years. The first station to be built would be Hinkley Point C, Somerset, sited next to Hinkley Point A and B stations. This will be followed by two new reactors at Sizewell C in Suffolk. Together these will form one of the biggest construction projects in Europe and they offer the chance to gain invaluable experience working with the latest reactor technology. Throughout the initial development and construction phase, opportunities will focus on project managers, electrical, mechanical, control & instrumentation engineers and specialists. In the longer term, we also want to hear from nuclear operational experts, security professionals (for both information and nuclear security), quality assurance, quality control and safety case professionals as well as highly skilled procurement experts. |
| || The post holder will work as part of the safety advisor team and be responsible for the day to day management and upkeep of the project health and safety management system, the project construction phase management plan, the management of health and safety performance reporting and the establishment and coordination of project wide health and safety communications.|
| || Operating Environment|
The Site Safety Systems and Improvements Advisor will operate by establishing and maintaining an effective, industry leading, well maintained, stakeholder focussed, management system to enable excellence in health and safety management at the HPC main site and associated developments.
A key part of this role will be working in close partnership with the NNB Safety Directorate participating in regular management reviews of the NNB health and safety management, certification surveillance audits to maintain compliance with international standards. The post holder will also ensure that learning from audits; inspections; trends incidents and best practices are integrated into the management system and facilitate the communication and cascade of updates to the management system.
The Site Safety Systems and Improvements Advisor will also operate a suite of health and safety communications with supporting materials which foster and maintain positive worker engagement with health and safety.
Establishing and maintaining a risk based health and safety communication programme, the Site Safety Systems and Improvements Advisor will champion the promotion of high impact and safety messages to carefully designed and orientated to positively engage a wide range of audiences (workforce, staff, unions and other stakeholders). The communications will promote trends, lessons learned, successes and raise awareness to key project wide health and safety issues.
| || The principal accountabilities are:|
- Manage, develop and maintain the HPC safety management system and the associated procedures and arrangements maintain external certifications
- Develop and manage the HPC safety performance metric data collection systems and associated reports
- Undertake regular analysis of project wide health and safety performance data and transform into meaningful and insightful information such as emerging issues and trends
- Present in the appropriate forums project wide health and safety performance trends
- Manage the project communications team, develop an annual health and safety communication programme securing and ensuring appropriate support from key stakeholders
- Ensure all health and safety related organisational learning reports are managed appropriately and circulated effectively to team members for action.
- Support the processes associated with the monitoring, auditing and review of the implementation of health and safety procedures.
- Promote consistency in performance and compliance with NNB health and safety standards liaising with team members, directors, and Tier 1 contractor partners.
- Engage with stakeholders in the development and implementation of the health and safety management system.
- Lead regular management system reviews with key stakeholders.
| || |
Knowledge & Skills
- Able to build and manage safety management systems for complex construction and engineering programmes
- Results focus tempered with team centred approach.
- Able to compile health and safety performance data, undertake analysis and presentation
- Skilled at interfacing and operating in a large corporate environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Long term perspective. Ability to establish a vision and develop/implement strategy to attain it.
- Willingness to learn from both successes and failures.
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations
- Building and managing performance data collection and measurement systems
- Working knowledge of national and international HSE standards.
- Proven track record of achieving excellent safety results.
Qualifications & Experience
- Significant management experience in successfully influencing and engaging senior business leaders and supporting project teams
- Significant experience in developing safety management systems and health and safety communication plans/initiatives across large scale health and safety strategies across complex and high risk operations
- Chartered membership of IOSH or equivalent
- NEBOSH HSE Diploma or European equivalent
- A member of a recognised professional HSE organisation.
| || Full-Time |
| || Permanent |
| || South West |
| || Hinkley Point C |
| || Competitive |
| || Health / Safety and Environment / Sustainability |
| || 28-Apr-2017|